Monday, June 22, 2009

Gunnin' For That #1 Spot, 2 stars

Either I am old or this movie has an attention deficit problem. (I refuse to entertain the notion that both might be true.) Here we have a documentary about the crème de le crème of high school basketball players and an exhibition game they play in Harlem. This is all well and good, the boys are talented and the game itself is fluid and hypnotic. At least, it is so when the editor of the film has not stepped all over the footage. My chief gripe with the film's style is twofold. First, the editing of the actual game is choppy and showy, and from the score progressions we see it is clear that some pivotal shots have been cut out. Occasionally we see the shot that ties the score or causes a lead change, but at other times that shot has clearly been left on the editing floor. A more comprehensive, flowing editing style would have served the material better. Secondly, when we are introcuced to each player we are shown a mock Googling of the player, with multiple windows opening and showing us an overview of media coverage of this or that young man. I am by no means a Luddite. All told, I probably spend five hours or more online each day. That being said, I do not go to a film to see the browsing experience recreated onscreen. Have we learned nothing from "The Net"? It is still not exciting to watch people use cmputers onscreen, despite the advances in Internet technology since then. When these montages begin, you can almost hear the worries of the filmmakers that skillful sportsmanship alone will not be enough to hold the attention of younger viewers.

Those of you who know me well may think this an odd choice of material for me. I admit that this was watched on one of the nights when it was not my turn to pick the movie. However, I was interested in Adam Yauch's filmmaking technique, as I am generally intrigued when artists from other disciplines decide to dabble in film. The topic seemed to have potential. Unfortunately, clearly visible pandering took the film down several notches and left me wishing someone had just turned on a camera from the bleachers of Rucker Park and let these kids play.

No comments: