Monday, July 27, 2009

SLIFR quiz

If you, like me, are a reader of several film blogs simultaenously, you will have noticed the meme of a quiz originally posted over at Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule. I'm finally ready to add my contribution, so herewith my answers:

1) Second-favorite Stanley Kubrick film.
2001: A Space Odyssey

2) Most significant/important/interesting trend in movies over the past decade, for good or evil.
The ease of production and distribution made possible by digital video.

3) Bronco Billy (Clint Eastwood) or Buffalo Bill Cody (Paul Newman)?
I have to pass on this one since I have not seen the movies in question.

4) Best Film of 1949.
The Third Man.

5) Joseph Tura (Jack Benny) or Oscar Jaffe (John Barrymore)?

Again I must pass.

6) Has the hand-held shaky-cam directorial style become a visual cliché?

As much as Steadicam, but it can still be used in exciting ways.

7) What was the first foreign-language film you ever saw?

Kamikaze 1989.

8) Charlie Chan (Warner Oland) or Mr. Moto (Peter Lorre)?

I haven't seen the Mr. Moto films, so I pass.

9) Favorite World War II drama (1950-1970).

Closely Watched Trains. If that doesn't count because the war is a bit tangential, I'll go with Judgment at Nuremberg.

10) Favorite animal movie star.

Asta from the Thin Man movies.

11) Who or whatever is to blame, name an irresponsible moment in cinema.

The janitor throwing away master prints of "Greed", thinking they were trash.

12) Best Film of 1969.

The Wild Bunch.

13) Name the last movie you saw theatrically, and also on DVD or Blu-ray.
Theatrically: The Hurt Locker; the last film I finished on home video was Revolutionary Road on Blu-Ray.

14) Second-favorite Robert Altman film.

MASH.

15) What is your favorite independent outlet for reading about movies, either online or in print?

http://seul-le-cinema.blogspot.com

16) Who wins? Angela Mao or Meiko Kaji? (Thanks, Peter!)

No thanks, Peter. I don't know who these people are.

17) Mona Lisa Vito (Marisa Tomei) or Olive Neal (Jennifer Tilly)?

I've got to go with Olive. Jennifer is one of my favorite actresses in any setting, and I'm still not forgiving Tomei for that Supporting Actress win.

18) Favorite movie that features a carnival setting or sequence.

Strangers on a Train.

19) Best use of high-definition video on the big screen to date.

Public Enemies.

20) Favorite movie that is equal parts genre film and a deconstruction or consideration of that same genre.

Body Heat.

21) Best Film of 1979.

This is a genuine tie between Alien and The Marriage of Maria Braun.

22) Most realistic and/or sincere depiction of small-town life in the movies.

Junebug.

23) Best horror movie creature (non-giant division).

Hitchcock's birds.

24) Second-favorite Francis Ford Coppola film.

Apocalypse Now.

25) Name a one-off movie that could have produced a franchise you would have wanted to see.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

26) Favorite sequence from a Brian De Palma film.

Sissy Spacek killing Piper Laurie in Carrie.

27) Favorite moment in three-strip Technicolor.

"Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

28) Favorite Alan Smithee film. (Thanks, Peter!)

I have seen none of the movies that IMDB credits to Alan Smithee.

29) Crash Davis (Kevin Costner) or Morris Buttermaker (Walter Matthau)?

I haven't seen Bull Durham, but I'm going with Matthau here.

30) Best post-Crimes and Misdemeanors Woody Allen film.

I know I'm going way out on a limb here, but I'm going with The Curse of the Jade Scorpion. Yes, really.

31) Best Film of 1999.

Fight Club.

32) Favorite movie tag line.

I had a hard time deciding between "In space no one can hear you scream" and "Garbo Talks", so I'll include them both.

33) Favorite B-movie western.

Does Lemonade Joe count? For some reason I don't watch B-movie westerns unless they're Czech.

34) Overall, the author best served by movie adaptations of her or his work.

James M. Cain.

35) Susan Vance (Katharine Hepburn) or Irene Bullock (Carole Lombard)?

Susan Vance.

36) Favorite musical cameo in a non-musical movie.

It's more than a cameo, but I'm bending the rules for Keely Smith in Thunder Road.

37) Bruno (the character, if you haven’t seen the movie, or the film, if you have): subversive satire or purveyor of stereotyping?

I haven't seen the movie yet and would need to see exactly how the subject matter is handled to make this decision. There is a possibility for both or either.

38) Five film folks, living or deceased, you would love to meet. (Thanks, Rick!)

Jean-Luc Godard, Sergei Eisenstein, Marlene Dietrich, Thelma Schoonmaker, Marilyn Monroe

No comments: